Friday, October 28, 2011

The Marital Pumpkin Carving Contest

I never thought carving pumpkins for the first time with my husband (his first time ever) would turn into a mini contest.  It didn’t really feel that way at the time, but there was definitely a winner, and I wasn’t it.

We were going to carve all four pumpkins we bought (one when we went to the pumpkin patch and three from the grocery store for cheaper), but I hate the scoop/scrape process of making the insides hollow, so we only did two.

carve1

All I could find were Disney carving kits, which the mister was very thrilled about, see?

carve2

We carved the pumpkins on Sunday, when I was pretty sick (I’m still getting over it coughcough Ugh), so Mr. Converse Sneakers printed out a picture that I described of an S, and found one with hearts.  Score!

carve3

He is pretty obsessed with skulls for some reason (you wouldn’t know it by his sweet personality), and he is a good artist, so he draw them a lot.  However, he used a print out to base his drawing on and then sketched it out.  Fitting for Halloween, unlike my girly love-stricken idea.

carve4

I guess I don’t care too much for carving pumpkins, so it took me only about 10 minutes to carve mine.  It wasn’t the best either.  My husband, however, spent a lot longer getting his perfect.  It must be the cutting motion that makes men weak in the knees.  I will never understand.

carve5

Here they are finished:

carve6

carve8

carve9

We put lemon juice on the cuts to keep them from browning.

carve10

 

He read somewhere you should spray cooking spray on them to lock in the moisture, and we thought it couldn’t hurt, so we did it.

carve12

I’m loving doing all these things for the first time as a married couple.  Honestly, though, I think traditions are even more fun with kids involved, but I’m happy to start some traditions the years before we have any little ones running around.

What Halloween traditions do you partake in?

2 comments:

  1. Love the pumpkins! I have not been very consistent decorating for Halloween over the years. I really didn't do too much pumpkin carving with the kids. I do more of a harvest decor but only a small amount. I do think having traditions is good for a family and builds good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah! I just wanted to let you know that I passed the Versatile Blogger Award onto you! Be sure to check out my blog for details :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I am a little crazy sometimes (it's probably the red hair), but I would really appreciate if you would leave a comment. I love getting to know my readers and reading what everyone is thinking! - Mrs. Ruffled Flats

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...