Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Giving Thanks for Things I’m Not Thankful For

I can’t speak for all states in America, but here in Minnesota, we spend a large amount of time talking about the weather.  We either praise it or complain about it.  We have been very fortunate to have a relatively warm and long autumn, but now that the temperature are starting to drop and daylight savings time has hit, we are becoming gloomy and pessimistic.

I will be the first to admit that I hate winter.  Honestly, I don’t know how I get through our six month winters every year because I hate the cold, the runny noses, the tolls our cars take, the increase in automobile accidents, the salt the ruins good shoes, yaddayadda the list continues.

However, as much as I am already thinking about Christmas, this is the month of being thankful.  I am trying my hardest to be thankful for everything in my life, because all of it is worth looking at in a positive way.  So, one of the major things I’m trying to be thankful for is winter, because I know in a couple months I will have a hard time finding anything positive about winter and will need something to look back on to make my heart happy instead of depressingly sad.

Here are my ten (I’m making myself go with ten even thought it seems impossible) reasons to be thankful for Minnesota winters:

christmas1

1. Christmas doesn’t look as pretty without snow.


christmas2
2. Bundling up in a blanket with a good book when outside temperatures are in the negatives is one of the best feelings in the world.


christmas3
3. Six months of extreme cold means uncontainable joy come spring.


christmas4
4. Coffee shops warm my soul in the winter – literally and figuratively.



christmas5
5. Snowflakes are a great wonder of the world and provide a magic we can’t experience any other time of the year.



christmas6
6. Coming into a warm building after being in the cold relaxes me.



christmas7
7. Frost on the trees, though a rare sight, is extremely beautiful.



christmas8
8. I admit that snowmen are pretty cool.



christmas9
9. Boots are pretty cute (and comfy).



christmas10
10. God created the seasons.  I should love them for that very reason!


What are your reasons for being thankful for harsh winters?

Photo sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like harsh winters either. I love all the pictures you posted! I think making winter foods is the best I can say about winter, stews, potato casseroles, and the holidays. Spring is always so wonderful after the winter snow. So, I can find a few things to be thankful for even if it is winter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I am a little crazy sometimes (it's probably the red hair), but I would really appreciate if you would leave a comment. I love getting to know my readers and reading what everyone is thinking! - Mrs. Ruffled Flats

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...