Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A New Definition of “Dwell”

In addition to spending time with friends and family over my two-week hiatus, I spent a fair amount of time reflecting on my personality and ways I want to be a better person this year.  As a perfectionist, I constantly strive to reach an unattainable goal of perfection, which I know is not possible, but is worth striving for, I suppose.  However, this leads to some of the negative aspects of my personality.

Up until a couple weeks ago, I thought of the word “dwell” as something negative.

Dwell_definition

I used to dwell on what I don’t have.

                        What I think I need.

                                              Why I’m not the person I want to be.

                                                                     How much money is not in our bank account.

                                                                                                           How many things I have to do.

How many hours I don’t get to spend with my husband.

                        How many people are suffering in the world.

                                              The corruption in our country.  In our world.

                                                                      The selfishness inside of so many.  Inside of myself.

I could go on an on.  The word “dwell” was something I tried to avoid because it just led to negativity.   Lately, though, I’ve discovered a new definition of the word “dwell.”  I choose if I want to dwell in a positive or negative way.

This year, instead of dwelling on the negative, I’m going to dwell on the positive.

Now I dwell on what I do have.

              All of the things that I don’t need and why I’m thankful to have all my needs met.

                            Why I am so much of the person I want to be and how to become even better.

                                                How much money is in our bank account and the good we can do with it.

                                                                  All the wonderful things I am physically and mentally able to do every day.

The hours I get to spend making memories with my husband.

             How I can help the people who are suffering.

                            The goodness in each person.  In our world.  In my God.

                                             The selflessness within so many people.

I could go on and on.  I have so much to be thankful for.  Instead of dwelling on the bad, I’m going to dwell on the good.

What good things should you be dwelling on?

Be sure to stop by tomorrow because I am hosting my first giveaway with none other than Shabby Apple, which is only my favorite and most amazing online dress company around.  Drop by tomorrow to enter to win a dress I know you will love!  See you then!

2 comments:

  1. Good to be positive, doesn't cost you anything but makes your peace of mind better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ampardini@yahoo.comJanuary 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

    A little phone app has helped me to dwell on the positive. It is called "thankfulfor" and has three simple sections:
    My Thanks (a place to type in what I am thankful for)
    Public Thanks (an inspirational place to view your and other people's
    thankful for postings)
    Quotes (more inspiration)
    And the really nice thing is to go back and read your list, your little diary of the positive in your life. A couple of my entries, as an example:
    Having an excellent boss that believes in me.
    Auntie Lynn and Uncle John.
    How nice our closet is turning out!
    To have lived another day.
    I travel a lot, but of course, you don't need a phone app to dwell on what you are thankful for, you can keep a little note book by your bed or write it on a big squared calendar.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I am a little crazy sometimes (it's probably the red hair), but I would really appreciate if you would leave a comment. I love getting to know my readers and reading what everyone is thinking! - Mrs. Ruffled Flats

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...